What do I do? I lost my American passport with my visa inside!

(Note: This advisory is for UK residents only, if you are just travelling in the UK, and will not be here for 15 business days, or approximately a month, you will more than likely need to apply for an emergency passport. Details are found here: Urgent Passports ).

If you should lose your passport and you fear it might be stolen, first and foremost contact the police in the area you think it was stolen or went missing within. Then you will need to apply for a new one. You can do this at the US Embassy. You will need to make this application in person. To do this, you will need, proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, naturalisation certificate, or even an expired passport will work.(1) You will also need proof of your Identity such as a national id card, a valid driver’s licence from any country, or a US military card. There are more examples of what you can use on the page below, but if you are unable to bring in a photo identity card of some kind, you may bring along a witness if they have the relevant documents such as proof of citizenship, and valid proof of their identity.

[no-glossary]You will need to fill in form DS-11, which can be found on the link below.(1) This is a passport application. You will also need DS-64, which can also be found through the link below(1) The DS-64 is a statement sheet where you provide your personal details and also explain what happened to your passport. You will also require two US passport sized photographs. The details for these photographs are also linked to the website listed below along with a list of stores and chains that can take these photos for you. The fee is $97 for anyone over the age of 16. You can pay that in cash, credit card, international money order made out to “United States Disbursing Officer”, or in a bank draft drawn from a US bank also made out to the “United States Disbursing Officer” forms.(1) You should also provide self-addressed royal mail special delivery envelope to ensure your new passport reaches you safely and so you are able to track it’s progress through royal mail. You can purchase these at any local post office. You may also use the Secure Mail Service provided by the Embassy. There is a customer service area for this secure mail in the lobby of the US Embassy. [/no-glossary]

You will need an appointment to apply for your new passport. On the website [fn]For more details please look at this webpage from the US Embassy in London [/fn] below, you will find a link that will allow you to book an appointment. Be sure to print out the confirmation of your appointment and bring this with you on the day. It will take up to 15 business days to process your application. Upon receiving your new passport you will then have to transfer your UK visa into your new passport.

After you receive your passport, you must re-apply for your visa or apply for your visa to be transferred into the new passport. If you are out of the UK and your passport is stolen, particularly in your home country, you probably want to consider re-applying for your visa. You will have to provide the same fee again, send in the same supporting documents, and you also must provide a police report to show the passport has been reported missing or stolen.[fn]Information came from this FAQ[/fn]

If you are within the UK, you will need to fill out the NTLTOC form available to download from the UK Borders and Immigration Agency site. You will also need to supply the Borders and Immigration agency with a police report showing the passport with the visa in it was stolen, and the original paperwork stating you received Limited Leave to Remain or Indefinite Leave to Remain. If you need to replace your Indefinite Leave to Remain, you will be required to submit original documents showing you have maintained continuously your residency in the UK since receiving Indefinite Leave to Remain. You will also need to supply passport pictures to certain specifications found on the link below.[fn]For more information, please refer to this website [/fn]

You can apply by post, the address is found in the guidance notes for the NTLTOC form. It is: Borders and Immigration Agency, Leave to Remain-NTLTOC, PO Box 502, Durham, DH99 1WG. You can also apply in person at one of the Public Enquiry Offices. You will need to pay £160 for the postal application and £500 for the in-person service.[fn]Payment information was found on the guidance notes that were dated 04/2007[/fn]

Visit our affiliate partner

UK Yankee is a resource and community for expatriate Americans living in or planning to move to the UK, established in 1999. Please join the discussions in our friendly expat community.