Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

Yes, you will need a Tier 4 Student Visa, which you can apply for after you have been offered a place on a UK University course. (Gov.uk, 2015) 1

You should allow around three months for your visa to be processed, so you should apply to your chosen Universities early, around 6 months in advance. You will need:

  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
  • have enough money to support yourself and and pay for your course, in the region of £25,000, depending on your circumstances. (This money must either have been in your personal bank account in full for a minimum of 28 days before you apply for the visa, or you must have evidence of an approved US loan which is accepted by the UK university).2

Visit our affiliate partner

UK Yankee is a resource and community for expatriate Americans living in or planning to move to the UK, established in 1999. Please join the discussions in our friendly expat community.