April 2015

What are the steps for a UK Fiancé Visa?

A fiance visa must be applied for from outside the UK and the fee as of April 2015 is £956. The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you wish to travel to the UK. You can ask for the visa to be post-dated by up to 3 months (the application will ask for your travel date and the date you put will be when the visa is made valid from - this date cannot be more than 3 months ahead of the date you apply online).
  • Gather up all your documents - financial requirement documents, accommodation...
  • What documents do I need to be able to prove that I or my partner meets the earning requirement?

    If the sponsors income on it own meets the financial requirements the you need only the sponsors financial evidence. If you need to combine your income to meet the financial requirements then both of you need to include your financial documents.
    • 6 months of payslips
    • 6 months of corresponding bank statements showing the pay deposits in your account
    • a letter from the employer stating the length of employment, position, current salary, if you're full time, etc
    • ...

    What are the old/new family migration rules, what's the difference?

    In July of 2012, the Home Office brought in new family visa rules to try to reduce immigration numbers. Under the old rules, there was no official minimum income requirement, but you needed to show approximately £112 left per week after rent and council tax. This money could come from anywhere and you only needed to provide 3-6 months of payslips and bank statements. Under the new rules, the minimum income requirement for one applicant is £18,600. For the first visa, only the UK citizen's...

    What is the minimum income requirement for the UK family visa?

    In July of 2012, the new family migration rules were changed to set the minimum income requirement for one applicant's sponsor (usually the spouse/partner) to be an annual gross earning of £18,600. For the first child applicant, an additional £3800 is required. For any additional children, an additional £2400 is required for each. If the visa status of the partner or spouse does not permit them to work, they would have no income. If the applicant's Sponsor is in receipt of Disability benefits (...


    Visit our affiliate partner

    UK Yankee is a resource and community for expatriate Americans living in or planning to move to the UK, established in 1999. Please join the discussions in our friendly expat community.